DCMO BOCES seeks to use current technology, including electronic storage, retrieval, and analysis of information about students’ education experience in the district, to enhance the opportunities for learning and to increase the efficiency of our district and school operations.
DCMO BOCES seeks to ensure that parents have information about how the District stores, retrieves, and uses information about students, and to meet all legal requirements for maintaining the privacy and security of protected student data and protected principal and teacher data, including Section 2-d of the New York State Education Law.
To further these goals, DCMO BOCES has posted this Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security.
(1) A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
(2) Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record. The procedures for exercising this right can be found in Board Policy 601. You may access this Policy from the District’s website.
(3) State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to encryption, firewalls, and password protection must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
(4) A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is
available at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx
and a copy may be obtained by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
(5) Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington
Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.